Available Position at HANDS
Real Estate Manager
HANDS (Housing and Neighborhood Development Services) Inc. is seeking an experienced, committed, self-starter to manage property and plan and administer the development pipeline connected with neighborhood revitalization plans and community programs.
HANDS’ mission is to make and keep our neighborhoods places where people can and do choose to raise their families and run their businesses. Methods to advance our mission are driven by core values of equity, creativity and sustainability. HANDS seeks employees who share our values and commitment to asset based community development in urban New Jersey.
The full-time position is responsible for property management of HANDS owned properties (skills here are critical for consideration) and all phases of scattered site residential, commercial and mixed-use real estate development (new construction and rehabilitation) up to and including Certificate of Occupancy. These projects all connect to improving the quality of community life, and advancing the mission and values of HANDS. Responsibilities include:
- Property management and tenant relations at 18 properties; 71 units (45 commercial/ 26 residential)
- Manage property capital improvements and maintenance
- Project visioning, research, and site/project evaluation and selection
- Project cost estimates/budgets, proformas and financing and subsidy applications
- Acquisition, project scope and predevelopment phase – bid, retain and manage architects and engineers
- Manage municipal approvals and ongoing municipal relationships
- Bid, retain and manage contractor and construction management
- Manage construction lending and grant draws
- Sales and lease-up outreach and relationships
- Prepare reporting to funders and grantors
Real Estate Manager will be:
- Detail-oriented and high energy achiever
- A self-starter working alone and with teams
- A proactive problem resolver
- Creative, in thought and action
- Computer proficient, including project management software
- Personable and respectful to people from all backgrounds and levels of income
- A strong communicator, both written and verbal
- Quick to share concerns and propose alternatives
- Able to maintain a sense of humor in challenging situations
- Bilingual, English/Spanish preferred
- Able to use own vehicle with appropriate insurance coverage and valid NJ driver’s license
- Three years of experience in real estate development, property management and project management
- Bachelor’s Degree in a related field desirable
Related Proficiencies Desired:
- Green Building/Energy Efficiency
- Investigation/remediation of environmental contamination
- Project Management systems
- Property/Asset Management systems
- Municipal Planning Approvals and Building Codes
- The Real Estate Manager will be available during business hours, but will be on call during evenings and weekends to handle urgent needs at HANDS properties.
- Ability to travel locally and in the region and to attend training as needed. Up to 2 weeks per year of overnight travel.
- The position requires spending more than 50% of time in the field for meetings and site visits including time outdoors in varied weather and site conditions, some standing and being active, and periods of sitting.
- HANDS is looking for a good fit with the right skills and personality.
- Equity is a core value at HANDS. There is strength in diversity and we work to increase the diversity of our staff. We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Full Time Benefits: Health Insurance, Pension, and Paid Time Off.
At HANDS, we amplify neighborhood voices and implement the ideas that will elevate the quality of community life. HANDS patiently invests expertise and funds in places where the private sector sees insufficient return and in projects that the public sector has not yet prioritized.
HANDS strategy is threefold: (1) Engage citizens to articulate, advocate, and create programs and goals that build on community assets and address local challenges, (2) Partner with stakeholders, community organizations and government to implement programs that elevate civic engagement and advance community goals, (3) implement a neighborhood development program that includes the acquisition and redevelopment of pivotal, eyesore properties. HANDS redevelops deteriorated one to three family homes and sells them to low and moderate income buyers prepared for homeownership. HANDS also repurposes vacant, underutilized, industrial and commercial properties for long term economic development and have created a growing arts district. The success of our strategy is demonstrated by increased civic engagement, neighbor satisfaction, and private investment. HANDS has completed about 193 properties. HANDS is tax exempt under IRS 501(c)(3) and is a chartered affiliate of NeighborWorks® America.
To Apply: E-mail resume and current salary and requirements to: jobs@HANDSinc.org